Saturday 13 April 2019

ECA 1 - 5 Holmes Chapel

Tudor's description of last Wednesday's battle:


Here’s the pseudo captain’s report. Suspect I won’t have to problem about being ineligible for second team next season!

The battle against Holmes Chapel

The unpredictability of chess. Arrive from the match to find I have not sent my willingness to play reply to Captain Paul.
Who shows willingness to hand over his chair to me if I do the captain’s duties, which  this post. So here goes.
The headline news is the the team was demoralised at this change, rather like Barcelona subbing Messi shortly before the kick off. 
Paul hopped it to see the Man U game (with Messi still playing for Barcelona).
Silence descends as EC prepares to do its best.
A tight match. No one seems to be in a hopeless lost positions even after half an hour.
A quick prowl confirms this splendid situation.
Then I fall into difficulties and prowling ceases.  I have an utterly lost game.  My opponent has broken through my Q side defence against my castled king.  My counter attack in the centre falls one move short of crushing it and him.  On the principle it can’t get worse I find a ridiculous resource and ward off the multiple mate threats, even leaving me with chances of a good rook against a very naughty bishop and sick looking knight. 
Time passes. The others approach and write their results on the scorecard.  Wow, Geoff and Steve have drawn their games.
Then David’s Fort Knox gives up (remember the scene in Goldfinger).
Keven’s bold advances perish against the hedgehog style (spines?) of his opponent. 
John has found brilliant opening play almost solving the mystery of the Schleswig-Holstein gambit. Alack, one casual move and his play against at IM rated opponent foundered. 
Long into the night I hold out.  First his knight then the bishop extricate themselves. 
Last man standing yields.  It is all over.  So there we have it.
Another valiant display from the latter day Rork’s Drift warriors.  The First Division will miss us next year.
 
 
BdEast Cheshire AHomeAwayHolmes Chapel
1Reed, John S01Blackburn, Jonathan LB
2Tranter, Steve½½Bennett, Patrick
3Brindle, Geoffrey½½Turner, John M
4Holton, Keven R01Hancock, Michael L
5Taylor, David R01Bates, Ian
6Rickards, Tudor01Lee, Michael A
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment