Thursday 12 November 2015

ECA 1.5 Macc A 4.5

A tough start to the league season for ECA with a home match against a strong Macclesfield team. With two 200 rated players on the top boards and four 160 odd players making up the rest of the team this was always going to be a tough slog.

1. Phil 0-1 R Shaw (204)

My illustrious opponent played a modest Trompowsky system and gave me no problems in the opening. When he started pushing pawns on the Queenside I thought I had better do something on the Kingside and started pushing pawns towards his King. Shortly afterwards I saw a little trick that seemed to win material. It almost did but Rob squirmed out of it and I ended up an exchange down for a pawn. I was still doing quite well with my Bishop pair but spent too long working out the complications and in the end lost on time in a inferior position. It was fun to cause my strong opponent some problems.

2. John 0-1 K Smallbone (200)

John played sharply against a Slav defence but in the end his enterprising play proved to be illusory and John was left with a weak pawn in the centre and no attack. John's opponent created some play against John's King and John had to give up a piece.

3. Kieran 0-1 A Soames (160)

Kieran was not allowed much fun against Tony's slow Reti system. I didn't see the end of this game as I was too busy losing on time!

4. Geoff B 1-0 C Sizeland (165)

Geoff was put under pressure by Chris's sharp King's Indian but in the end managed to force the win with a cheapo (in Geoff's words!)

5. David T 0-1 D Risley (162)

David's "Fort Knox" Defence proved as good as its name, shepherding David into a slightly worse endgame but sadly David was unable to hold it.


6. Tudor 0.5-0.5 G Laurence (159)

Tudor played solidly in a Queen's Pawn game but ultimately had to settle for a draw.

All in all about a par result based on the respective ratings of the teams. The small matter of hosting Marple A in a fortnight may mean we will be getting most of our points after Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment